ABOUT

1st green cropped.jpeg

SA's 2nd oldest golf club and a founding member of the South Australian Golf Association.



Nestled in the heart of the Onkaparinga Valley, a comfortable 30 minute drive from Adelaide, is the township of Oakbank, home of the southern hemisphere's largest picnic horse racing carnival. It is also home to the Oakbank Golf Club - South Australia's second oldest - being founded in 1892.

 

Prior to moving to the current course on Smith Street, the Club was located at the famous Oakbank Racing Club's racecourse for its first 100 years. The Racing Club's stands provided excellent clubroom facilities, but visiting players (and many locals) found the hazards - especially the ever-present race track railings - required extreme caution. Contact between golf ball and railing inevitably resulted in extreme and unpredictable deviation from the intended course! There were no bunkers, but the sand track, railings and other racecourse structures more than compensated as hazards.

In 1994 the new nine hole Oakbank Golf Course was laid out on land that has been owned by J and A G Johnston Ltd since 1858.

 

The transformation from farm land to links-style golf course began under the direction of longstanding Johnston's company secretary - and Life Member of the Oakbank Golf Club - Bryan O'Leary.

Hundreds of trees and shrubs were planted and for the first few years there was little impediment for the golfer who strayed off the beaten path from tee to green. Today, it is a different story; the vegetation now creates a spectacle in its own right, a wonderful habitat for the Adelaide Hills' bird life, and a real incentive for the golfer to maintain direction down the marvelous fairways.

 

The golf course has been home to the Oakbank Golf Club since it moved from the racecourse (with a one-year interlude at Mt Pleasant) at the end of 1994.The first season on the new course was officially opened on January 15th 1995. In June of 2015, the club was able to purchase the course from the previous owners, J & AG Johnston and is now able to develop and maintain the course into the future.

 

The course is ideal for the recreational golfer; is easily traversed, has only two sand bunkers and is irrigated throughout the summer. The course and clubhouse facilities are available for green fee players and group bookings when the course is not required for Club events.

 

We are proud of our reputation for being a friendly and hospitable club. We hope you enjoy our website and will visit us soon.​